Friday, September 23, 2005

my first love: sneak peak of the book I'm writing

here is the opening chapter (intro) to a book I'm writing called
my first love:
Memoirs, memories, RANDOM RANTS
& confessions of a hip hop junkie.
I'm posting it here to share it with all of you
please feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think, enjoy.............
INTRO
Confessions of a hip hop junkie


Nice & Smooth is funky
Also hip-hop junkies
All we wanna do...Is Unh Unh in you...


I am in no way tryna pass this off as the official guide of hip hop, or the official history of hip hop. There will be many disappointed or down right upset cause I didn’t mention them or their importance to this culture. To those I quickly apologize but I truly believe that no one will ever totally capture every aspect of this culture and everyone who have played a part big and small. Some will come closer than others, but everyone will tell their story from their point of view and that’s all I am attempting to do here. Hip hop is too big for that, too large to be capture in one mere book or even a set of encyclopedias. There will always be an update or a revision. Hip hop has so many stories, many sides and this is just my story, things that influenced me, my memoirs, random rants, memories and the confessions of a hip hop junkie.


No one is new to this or new to Kris
In hip hop's atomic structure, I am the nucleus…


Like KRS ONE said once on a record and in several interviews, I AM HIP HOP. Later when I questioned him on what sounded too many including myself the first time I heard it, as very egotistical. How can anyone man make that claim, it’s bigger than that. He told me in an interview when he made that statement he wasn’t only speaking for himself, he was speakin’ for many of us, Than he looked across the table at me pause and followed that up with ‘AJ, YOU ARE HIP HOP’ as well.

We met briefly back in the days when we were on B-Boy Records together as artists in 1987 (wow the mere mention that record company is still like a bad taste in my mouth that won't go away, to this day). He told me as a hip hop head who has been in this as long as I have, as a writer with a true sense of the history of hip hop, I have a responsibility to document our history, to capture as much of the culture on paper as possible so others outside of our culture don’t rewrite history the way they did Rock & Roll, Rhythm & Blues, Jazz, Blues and the other music genres we have created and haven’t been properly credited for. I didn’t take it that serious then but Kris I did heard what you were saying and this is my brief attempt to bring us one step closer to that. The revolution may not be televised but as long as I have breath in my life it will be recorded.

Many other hip hop headz through out the years after we had gotten into these deep philosophical conversations of hip hop, talking about who is or was then, hip hop and where it is now, many of those conversation more times than not usually ended with someone saying, ‘Damn you need to write all this down, you need to write a book.‘ To all of them, this book is for you.
A good friend of mine Wendy Day of The Rap Coalition not too long after our first meeting, told me back in 1990 that I need to start keeping a journal, I need to write of book of my experiences like my memoirs. I laughed at the idea, like who wants to read that. I look at someone older, more successful writing memoirs, someone like Quincy Jones or Russell Simons who has been through everything accomplished so much. I didn’t take her serious at the time, but Wendy here it is, thanx for all you have done and taught me about this biz.
Through the years as an artist, manager, promoter, writer, street promotions rep, college radio promoter, video show host, writer and editor as well as underground radio personality, I have realized many headz tend to come to me for info. Tend to look at my as a source of what’s hot, as far as that new album or a movie coming out. Tracii Macgregor, former editor of The Source Magazine used to come to me as a source of information on a story another writer did dealing with the old school. The words: Additional Information by AJ Woodson would run at the bottom of those particular pieces. At first I would get mad I didn’t get the piece in the first place.
But now I realized God blessed me with a big mouth and the gift of communicating, whether it be, orally articulating and dispensing information to people or the gift to write and make you feel like you were right there, which is why my company is called Big Mouth Ntertainment. The gift of recalling information and/ or retelling of stories or events (even when I don’t remember every detail) has always been a strong point of mine. Mama always said, ‘know ya strengths and ya weaknesses.’ So I just started do what it is I do.
The finally thing that happened and led to this book being written was when I was goin over some things I wrote awhile ago with my homegirl Tachelle Wilkes, another fellow writer as well as a dope upcoming poet starting to make a name for herself, one of the creators of Femmixx.com. We had done some writing’ for a new magazine that never came out. Tachelle left me a few messages telling me we need to do something with what we had written. My hard drive had crashed on my laptop so I asked her to resend me the portions I had written. After reading them, so many other memories starting poppin back up in my head, and the stories I wrote a few years ago and never saw the light of day ended up being the beginning of the first few chapters of this book. Thanx for ya constant push and inspiration to write this book
Sure this isn’t even the first book of this kind floating around out there and I am not the first to document and write about hip hop, big up to my man Nelson George who I have only met once or twice, who is the voice of hip hop he has always been a personal inspiration to me. Writer like Nelson, Harry Allen, Havelock Nelson, Michael Gonzales, Smokey Fontaine (who have all had books out on or about hip hop, that I’ve read several times) and the entire On The Go Magazine staff (one of the dopest hip hop magazines ever and the most fun I ever had writing,) and all the editors I have worked with though out the years thanx for the personal tips, inspirational words to make me a better writer and believe in myself and ability or for just being an inspiration by doin what you do.
I believe we all have our own style and flava and God willing you will enjoy the ride, as I take you on a journey through my hip hop and what hip hop has meant to me.
I called this intro ‘confessions of a hip hop junkie,’ because this has always been in my soul, my spirit, my very being most of my life, before the first hip hop records, when they wasn’t a name for what we do or who we were. After the recording artist portion of my career was over I stepped away from hip hop but it kept calling me back in. I have quit and broke up with hip hop the way one would a lover or spouse. I have tried to distance myself from hip hop but like Pookie in New Jack City, “It keeps callin’ me.”
Like that first good sex ya ever got in ya life or ya first true love. That girl might drive you crazy but damn that sex is good. Hip hop was my first true love. I will always love her no matter how much she pisses me off.


I met this girl, when I was ten years old
And what I loved most she had so much soul
She was old school, when I was just a shorty
Never knew throughout my life she would be there for me
Not The regular, not a church girl she was secular
Not about the money, no studs was mic checkin her
But I respected her, she hit me in the heart
A few New York niggaz, had did her in the park
But she was there for me, and I was there for her
Pull out a chair for her, turn on the air for her
And just cool out, cool out and listen to her
Hittin on a bone, wishin that I could do her
Eventually if it was meant to be, then it would be
Because we related, physically and mentally
And she was fun then, I'd be geeked when she'd come around
Slim was fresh yo, when she was underground
Original, pure untampered and down sister
Boy I tell ya, I miss her

I was a few years older when I met her, but like Common I Used To Love H.E.R., she will always be my true love even though I’m not feeling every person she associates herself with these days, I will always have her back, she can never need anything and I won't be there for her.


Love of my life, you are my friend Love of my life, I can't give in Love of my life, Without you babe, feels like a simple true love But this shit ain't clear

I despise all those who rape her for their own personal gain with out contributing anything to her. I can't seem to turn my back on her. Just ask my wife who can tell you hip hop is the mistress that she has always had to share me with. Baby this book is for you.


Ya'll know how I met her
We broke up and got back together
To get her back I had to sweat her
Thought she rode with bad boys forever
In many ways them boys made it better
To grow I had to let her
She needed chedder
And I understood that Lookin' for cheese that don't make her a hood rat
In fact she's a queen To me her light beams
on me I love it when she sings to me-
(Erykah Badu f/ common -Love Of My Life (Ode To Hip Hop)
- Brown Sugar Soundtrack)

The movie Brown Sugar was also a great inspiration for this book as well. Like the lead character, a writer as well, I put off this book off for years because I wasn’t sure I could write on this level. But this book has been floating around in my head, like old re runs of a 70s sitcom. It was something I just had to do.
Hip hop is my vice, my addiction, my drug of choice, and I thank you for letting me share my experiences, and memories, all I loved and hated about hip hop with you. This book is my ode to hip hop- the love of my life. Hope you enjoy readin’ it as much as I enjoyed writin’ it.
Hello everyone, my name is A.J. Woodson and I’m a hip hop junkie.
© AJ (AJ ROK) WOODSON
HIP HOP JUNKIE 4 LIFE

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats and good luck on your book. Funny to read about B Boy. Talk about leaving a bad taste.

Anonymous said...

I shall look forward to reading this book Aj. In fact, alot of the older heads who I've run into that have become my friends, that get upset about some of these so-called documentaries I always tell em "WRITE A BOOK ABOUT YOUR HIPHOP STORY AND EXPERIENCES. If HipHop is indeed a fun way of life that you continuously claim it to be and have lived this, then like with all ways of life, you've got a story and experience to tell and share...so document it and let the world know".....I just hope the likes of Kool Moe Dee, KRS, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G. Rap, Melle Mel and others will do the same.

AJ, again like with the upcoming movie (possibly accompanied by a book) my boy T La Rock is doing, I shall indeed look forward to this book.

P.S. If possible, try and include stories about the MC Battles too...just to let readers (youth in particular) the differences between battles & beefs

AJ WOODSON said...

thanx dawg
I am leaking sneak peaks from time to time, I leaked the portion of the section on battles back in April for those who missed it click on this
http://ajwoodson.blogspot.com/2005/04/whats-beef-battles-and-beefs-back-in.html

Anonymous said...

Tell it like it is brah. You're a legend from the baby boom of this hip hop culture so cats need to check what you're saying for some kind of base to their history...and to take a hard look at how many of us in the hip hop nation/life are being changed and not challenged to maintian the authenticity of what hip hop culture truly means and is. Respect, and keep doin' ya thing big mouth!! :)

I still need that accapella of your joint. You know what i'm talking about man!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Aj,

from one hip hop junkie to another. Get you book on boy!! Sounds good and I can't wait to read it. I wish you all the best, and offer you all my support. And you know this. :::cheese::::

Anonymous said...

your insights and love of hip hop are welcomed and needed right now as the history is gonna be lost soon if we dont let the new generation know and help them understand the importance and significance of this culture beyond a financial and material level.

Anonymous said...

So far fam I'm loving it. For a brotha like me that's not much on reading that means alot. You keep me interested to the end! Looking forward to reading the final cut!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you continuing to run with the hip hop journalism baton.
Havelock

WALASIA "MJ" SHABAZZ said...

Peace AJ. I think it's our time...I look up and I've been doing this work for 18 years. It IS time for our memoirs. And it's so important to tell it like it really happened...unfortunately so many of the artists were high or out of it or whatever...so it falls on our shoulders - the journalists - to get it said.

All the best,

Miranda Jane
Editrix/Jornalista

Anonymous said...

Once again AJ gives reader pure,unadultarated hip=hop for us old heads that remember "back in da days"

Rahiem Shabazz

Anonymous said...

Watch out 'cause AJ is 'bout to knock ya out with some real hip hop ish for the mentalz and the soul...

Blessings,
Tachelle "Shamash" Wilkes
Femmixx.com/Founder

Anonymous said...

Looking great fam! You are a talented writer and I always find your columns insightful and interesting!

DJ OPAL!

Anonymous said...

Great AJ. It was about time you started writing a book. I really enjoyed. Keep it up. Can't wait to read it when it comes out.

PS: Give me a call. I never gave me a call after I sent you the package with the reviews.

AJ WOODSON said...

Thank u
everyone who took the time to check out my sneak peak and all those who left me your feedback in the comments section, and with emails, 2ways or phone calls.
Thank u for showing interest in what I have to say and share, it mean a lot, more than u know.

Please keep the comments coming. I am trying to create a crazy buzz around this book as I write it
a little unorthodox I know but those that know me when have I ever done anything the traditional way.

And let me say all of your feedback is just the inspiration I needed to continue writing.

So please keep checking the blog, and keep the feedback coming.
Tell a friend to tell a friend.

Until we speak again
have a blesses day!!!

- AJ (ROK) WOODSON
professional hip-hop junkie

Anonymous said...

AJ.. as always I'm a fan of your work. Please tell your story to the world and there is no need to apologize for lack of mentions. Its your story and not every single artist/ rapper or person in the world is... what made it. Its ok if they didn't play a role..this is your story! Much love and always respect homie

Anonymous said...

checked out the 'sneak peek' of the book - sounds good so far - looking forward to reading the finished product.

peace!

ryan proctor
blues & soul magazine

Anonymous said...

Peace and eternal blessings, AJ (or do I call you "Mr. Woodson" now? hehe) First off, I would like to say, my brother, THANK YOU and countless others for putting Strong Island on the map and helping to pave the way for cats like me to get some shine. For many years, urbanites didn't take us seriously cause we were from L.I., but you all continued to break new ground and plant the seed for what has developed into a nice, fertile harvest for this culture. From the first day them Freda Payne horns hit my tympanic membrane, I KNEW we had arrived! 'Nuff respect.

Second...I cannot WAIT to get my hands on this book money grip! Every b-boy & b-girl on this Earth has a story to tell and it's important that our generation continues in that "each one...teach one" philosophy to assure this culture doesn't get led astray. Keep me posted on the publication, and let's continue to build on this connection of souls that God has predestined in our lives. Bless!

oxygen
"Chemical Breakdowns" show
90.1 WUSB-FM (Strong Island, NY)

Anonymous said...

This is a very unique concept and I look forward to reading more. Keep up the good work!!