Thursday, March 23, 2006

Getting My Spiritual Weight Up!!!

I was reading The Upper Room, my daily devotional guide (which I have to admit I rarely read daily, a couple time a week sometimes is saying something but I'm working on it). Anyway I was a day or two behind and I was turning to today's devotion (slipping past the days I missed as usual) and for some reason I stopped at yesterdays, message titled Good Intentions.

It started off with Matthew 7:21
Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he one who does the will of my Father in heaven."

Then it went of to talk about standing on the scale in the morning and acknowledging that you need to lose weight and actually meaning it when you say it but not following through on it through out the course of the day. Giving in to cravings you know you shouldn't have, and especially now since I'm working part time at a local supermarket around the corner at night, I'm surrounded with everything i shouldn't eat. And to make it worst its usually a lot cheaper than the foods I should be eating or snacking on.

Anyway it went on to compare that to reading your daily devotional message and attending weekly church services and agreeing 100% with the message but again not following through with it through out the course of the week.

Now what struck me the most is I just had this conversation with Reginald, a friend of my mine from my church, via email no more then 10-15 minutes before. We serve in the Media Outreach Ministry (also known as the sound or audio ministry in some other churches) together, were discussing what moves we need to make to enhance the sound and make the ministry more efficient, overall. I was just telling him the same thing that I need to exercise more both Physically and spiritually daily. To be an more effective and efficient soldier for Christ I need to get my spiritual weight up and arm myself with His word (something I know I should do but don't do enough of.)

The daily devotional message talks about how all of this seem relatively easy when surrounded by fellow believers but agreeing with God's message doesn't mean a thing unless I follow through with it daily. I need the power of God to help me through the everyday struggles of day to day life especially when God decides to use you in any capacity to do his work. My dad use to say the enemy never saw me as a threat before I gave my life over to Christ and decide to live better and do the right thing. I was running wild and, well that's another rant for another day. But now that I have made the decision to do Gods will, whether it be the various ministries I'm involved in at church or praying with or being a blessing to someone God puts in my path to help, the enemy seems to try to beat you down and make you forget Gods message unless you arm yourself and surround yourself with it daily. Even in my marriage, one of my weaknesses God is helping me to work through praying daily with my wife, who He has blessed me with the spend the rest of my days. One of the best way for the enemy to attack you is through those closest to you.

Anyway before I go off in another rant, the moral of this lengthy entry is Today I will try to be the person God wants me and has created me to be. Today I ask all of your reading this, how many of you need to get your spiritual weight up???

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I just read it. That was on point in more ways than one. Not many of us follow through on our promises to the Creator or to ourselves. It’s time to get “swoll’”, man.

RSM

Anonymous said...

I also do the sound at my Church and sometimes I have to remind myself that I am doing it as a Ministry and my recognition lies in Heavenly places. At times I have felt unappreciated, but on this past Sunday the Pastor recognized my work in the Sound Ministry. Even if he had not, I realize that I should do the job as if unto God. This includes following through after discussions of how we can improve the Ministry. Thanks for the blog!

Calvin The 3rd

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy The Upper Room, and like you, am working to make it a
part of my daily life. When I do read it, I realize how much more
enjoyable my day is. Since I know this, I wonder why I act insane some and not pick up this wonderful resource.

Carla

Anonymous said...

Excellent spiritual insight. Continue to keep it real....as others will grow from your honesty.
God Bless
Robin B. Joseph

Anonymous said...

What the message said is so true.
It's easy to be up on Sunday after service, but it's difficult to stay that way and lean on God, Depend on God and to try to do his will.
As the article said the ones who make the most noise at Church or are fanatical will probably not be going to the Kingdom of God.
God did not walk on earth and teach people to be recognized but to save our souls.

AJ WOODSON said...

No doubt Reg, it's time to get our swoll on for real...

Calvin u said it, it is often a thankless and unappreciated job, but as you said we do it for the heavenly reward... (everyone click on Calvin's name and check out his new CD, stay tuned to a review comin real soon)

thanx for the feedback Carla I feel u girl for real
and Robin I will try my best cuz
thanx for checking out my blog, come back from time to time

and yes I agree mom (yes everyone Patricia is my mom, leaving me feedback for the first time on my blog, how real is that. I agree 100% we need to remember that, I believe all of us forget what are purpose is sometimes

and to all those who left me emails and instant messages thanx alot as well, keep that feedback comin

AJ WOODSON said...

thanx Priscilla
for sharing
you never know how you testimony will help someone else
and please make sure you send me links to your blog when u get it up and running

Anonymous said...

Cuz, this is so true. I think we have all been there. WHat I found amazing is many times the key is not us doing any more than submitting. As you did when you read the email. Submit to his will and we find out that all he has for us is more than we can ask or think. Luv ya! Keep droppin that TRUTH.

AJ WOODSON said...

thanx K Rob
for the feedback and the fone call,
both were more timely than u know

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this AJ. Seems like I myself am always approving and reapproving myself. I know that God the Most High brought me here for a reason. I strive to intertwine all that with His mission. What you have said is so true. We work so hard for the career and monetary thngs, yet the most important is to get "Your Spiritual Weight UP!" Thanks so much for sharing.

AJ WOODSON said...

Tachelle

thanx for the feedback
I often get off track on what I'm here for
I actually think this entry on my blog is the beginning of something
I may start a totally new blog just for daily devotions like this.
The response has been overwhelming which i believe is confirmation in itself.

thanx for da feedback